Monday, May 23, 2016

Welcome

Welcome to A Man Is Like A Tree!

This is my new blog.  The subject of this blog will be gardening and the development of our small suburban plot of land in Beacon, NY.  

I know what you may thinking.  "Another blog?  Another gardening blog?  Seriously?"  I'm having those kinds of thoughts too.   Do I really want to have another thing to do on the computer?  But I've been thinking about it a lot and I think there are a couple good reasons why it's worth doing.   First, it will serve as a journal - a nicely documented timeline that I can look back on over the years.   Second, it will serve as an open source - others might be inspired by what I'm doing and might learn something (most likely from my mistakes!).  And hopefully readers who are more experienced will offer their guidance and suggestions to me.  I am by no means an expert.  I'm really just starting, and I'm experimenting a lot.  I'll share this journey with you, in the spirit of learning together.  To me the best that the internet has to offer is the easy sharing of knowledge of practically any subject.  

I've been studying permaculture.  It's difficult to summarize permaculture briefly, but it is essentially a philosophy of design, most often applied to gardening or farming that aims to take care of the needs of humans while regenerating the land and providing habitat for all of life.  There's a lot more to it, so I invite you to visit the resources page for some permaculture sources that I've been checking out.  Recently I attended a permaculture workshop at the Chapel of Sacred Mirrors in Wappingers Falls, NY with Delvin Solkinson.  He ended the workshop with a motivating speech, and one thing that he said was to share what we're doing on the internet.  So with his suggestion I've finally decided to get this blog started.

The title of the blog comes from a song by the late saxophonist Alber Ayler.  I recorded an instrumental version of it with cornetist Kirk Knuffke and drummer Kenny Wollesen in 2012.  But Ayler's original recording, from the album Music Is The Healing Force Of The Universe, features vocals by Mary Maria Parks.  I think it's a fitting title for the blog because it directly ties together music - a main focus of my life - with nature.  Ultimately I envision a place where music making, gardening, education, growth, life, nature, etcetera all coexist and enhance each other as much as possible.  


A Man Is Like A Tree

A man is like a tree
A tree is like a man
Comes a change of the season
He dies and he’s born again

A man is like a tree
That grows from a seed
Never cut his growth
Give him a chance to live

He will answer to the call
Like a tree he’ll stand up tall
A man is like tree
A tree is like a man

The arms of man
Like branches of a tree
Forever reaching out
'Cause man was meant to be

Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall
Like a tree he’ll stand up tall
A man is like a tree
A tree is like a man

A man is like a tree
A tree is like a man




A photo my friend Rich Johnson sent me a couple years ago:

No comments:

Post a Comment